- 1 lb of fish ( cut into pieces)
- Tamarind - Golf ball size
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds(optional)
- 1 - onion chopped
- 1 - tomato chopped
- 3 - slitted green chillies
- 4 - garlic pods
- 1/2 teaspoon of vadagam
- 1 tablespoon of chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon of coriander power
- 4 tablespoon of sesame oil
- pinch of turmeric powder
- Handful of curry leaves
- salt to taste
- For grinding:
- 1 teaspoon of fennel seed
- 120g of shredded coconut
- 1/2 - onion(small size)
1.Wash the fish with turmeric and keep it aside.
2.Soak the tamarind in water for half an hour and extract the juice.(3 cups)
3.Blend the coconut, fennel seed and onion in food processor and make it like paste.
4.Heat oil in the pan. Add mustard,wait til it splutter then add vadagam, chillies and garlic pods.
5.Add onions,until it gets cooked well, add tomatoes in it and fry for sometime.
6.Add the coconut paste into tamarind pulp.
8.Pour this mixture into the pan and close the lid, cook till the raw chilli smell goes away.
9.Add fish into the pan, close the lid and cook for few minutes.
10.Finally, garnish it with curry leaves and serve with rice.
- Use pearl onions and sesame/gingelly oil, it will give traditional flavour.
- You can add some fenugreek seeds.
- Handle the cooked fish gently, otherwise it will break.