Mushroom Briyani is a comforting one pot meal. It is so simple to make and tastes delicious . It can be prepared in jiffy. I have made it spicy, so please adjust the spiciness (add 1/2 tsp chilli powder instead 1 tsp) according your taste buds. Read on for detailed recipe with stepwise pictures.
- 2 cup Basmathi rice
- 250 g white button Mushroom (cut into 2 pieces)
- 2 medium size Potatoes (skin peeled and cubed)
- 2 chopped onions
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 tbsp of Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp of garam masala powder
- 1 tsp of chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp of fennel seed powder
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup Cilantro chopped, tightly packed
- Juice from Half lemon
- 4 cups of Water
- Salt as required
- 1 to 2 tbsp of vegetable Oil
- Whole Spices ( 2 bay leaf, 2 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 star anise, 2 to 3 mace strands, 3/4 tsp fennel seeds, 3/4 tsp cumin seeds)
1. Wash basmathi rice thrice in running tap water and soak it in enough water for about 15 to 30 minutes.
2. Heat oil in pressure cooker over medium. One the oil is heated, add whole spices and saute for 30 sec.
3. Add onion and saute till it turn to transparent.
4. Add garlic garlic paste and tomato, saute until tomato turn soft.
5. Add potato, mushroom, all spice powders, cilantro and salt (as per your taste). Mix all well and close the lid and cook for 5 minutes. ( Adding cilantro gives nice flavor to the rice)
6. Add soaked rice with 4 cups of water and squeeze half lemon. (Check for salt taste after adding water) Stir well and close the cooker with its lid and wait for 1 whistle. Then switch off the flame.
7. Keep the pressure cooker aside for sometime until all the steam settles down.
8. Garnish it cilantro and serve hot briyani with cucumber onion raita.