Hello Friends! Today, I am so happy to have my friend Remya Seam of Remmy's Kitchen at my space :). She is a very sweet person, passionate blogger, lovely mom. I love all her recipes, especially authentic kerala dishes. I would really sugguest you all to visit her page for delicious traditional as well as baking recipes.
I am so glad that she made my favourite kerala fish dish for the guest post. Thank you so much Remya. Sure, I will try this recipe for my hubby. He loves nethili meen :)
Hi all! I'm Remya Sean of Remmy's Kitchen. This time I'm doing a guest post for my lovely friend Bhawya, a girl with cooking talent as well as creativity! For me she is a friend to whom I can ask any doubt :).. Today I am sharing famous fish dish in kerala in her blog.
Nethili peera pattichathu /Anchovies in coconut mixture kerala style
It is a traditional Kerala fish recipe. We can use nethili or small sardine fish for this dish. You may use mango or fish tamarind as souring agent. Ok, let's move to the recipe.
· Nethili / Anchovies : 1/2 kg
· Tamarind / Kudampuli : 4 pieces
· Shallots / kunjulli (sliced ) : 1/2 cup
· Curry leaves : 3 sprig
· Coconut oil
For coconut mixture:
· Green chillies : 2
· Grated coconut : 1 cup
· Ginger, chopped : 1 tspn
· Chilli powder : 1/2 tspn
· Turmeric powder : 1/4 tspn
· Coriander powder : 1 tspn
· Wash and clean the fish .Set aside. Wash and soak the tamarind in water.
· Take a bowl, add grated coconut, green chilli ,salt ,turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder. Mix well with your hand and set aside.
· Heat oil in claypot. Swirl the pot so that the oil will spread to the whole area.
· Now add sliced shallots, curry leaves and chopped ginger. Sauté it well.
· Add in the coconut mixture and mix it well. Now add soaked tamarind
· Add cleaned fish and mix it gently with coconut mixture(Amma used to toss the clay pot )
· Now add 1/4 cup of water and cover the clay pot with its lid. Simmer the gas and cook till almost all water is evaporated.
· Another easy method also available for meen peera. May be that is the authentic way. Mix all the ingredients with your hand and add 1/4 cup of water. Now cook it in low flame with 1/4 cup of water. Finally add coconut oil.