Dum biryani comes in a layer of rice, meat gravy/masala, mint & cilantro leaves, fried onion, fried cashews and raisins and some saffron milk or orange food color. The flavor of the biryani is rich and it tastes so great too.. Fish Briyani is one of my favorite. It is easy to make and extremely flavorful. I hope these stepwise pics will help you to follow the recipe in a easy way.
For frying Fish:
1/2 kg of Fish, cut into pieces
1/2 tsp Ginger garlic paste
1 tsp Chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Cumin powder
1 tsp Salt
juice of half lemon
oil for shallow frying
For making Masala:
4 Tomatoes , chopped
1/2 tsp Chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp Cumin powder
2 tsp Ginger garlic paste
1/2 cup Yogurt, whipped
2 Green chilli, chopped
2 tbsp of mint leaves
3 to 4 tbsp of coriander leaves
Salt to taste
juice of half lemon
For making Fragrant Rice:
2 cup of long grain rice / Basmati rice, washed 2 or 3 times and soaked it in water for 20 minutes
Whole garam masala ( 2 bayleaf, 2 cinnamon small stick, 1 star aniseed)
1/2 tsp salt
5 to 6 cup of water
1 tbsp Ghee/clarified buter
Oil for frying
1/2 cup onion, sliced
2 tbsp oil
1/2 cup cilantro and mint leaves, finely chopped
Dash of saffron infused milk or orange food color
Making of Fish fry
1. In a mixing bowl,take all the ingredients mentioned below frying fish.
2. Mix all well together and let it sit for atleast 20 minutes.
3. Heat tawa over medium flame, add some oil on it.
4. Once oil become hot, fry the fishes on both sides for about 2 minutes in order to hold its shape in the briyani. Hence, its not necessary to cook fully, because it will get cooked further in the masala later.
5. Remove the fish to plate and set aside.
Make Fragrant Rice
1. Heat ghee in big vessel on medium heat, add whole garam masala into it.
2. When you get the aroma of whole garam masala, pour 5 cups of water and add salt in it.
3. Once it begins to boil , add basmathi rice.
4. cook uncovered until the rice is half cooked.
5. Drain water using colander / filter and keep the rice aside.
Make caramalised onion and Fish masala:
1. Heat oil in medium pan on medium flame. When the oil becomes hot, add onion and fry till it turn to golden brown. Set aside.
2. In the same pan, add chopped tomato and close the lid , cook til it become mushy.
3. Add ginger garlic paste and whipped yogurt, mix and cook for couple of minutes, uncovered.
4. Now add spice powders, salt and leaves . Mix, close the pan and cook until oil seperated from masala/curry.
5. Add cooked fish in it, give a stir and cook until the fish cooked well.
Fish masala is ready! :)..
Layer them all:
1. Take large vessel ( I used pressure cooker) layer the rice and fish masala.
2. Start layering : rice at bottom, some fish gravy over the rice. Then garnish with fried onions, chopped leaves, again layer rice on fish gravy and finally add dash of saffron water.
3. Take a heavy bottomed tawa and heat it in simmer mode.
4. Now keep the cooker, close with its lid (dont put cooker weight) on the tawa and cook for 25 minutes. Its done!!! Serve hot with your choice of gravy and raita.